Monday, June 11, 2012

Stages

30" x 40"
Oil

It's finally done.  I've been dying to make this vision a reality for months.  It's one of my favorite things I have designed.  I named the it 'Stages' when I originally drew it.  To me, it is about the different ways we view the world in different periods of our lives.  All very different, but equally real.  Just as my beliefs and yours are both equally true, no matter how conflicting they may be. 
I don't believe in one single truth. 
I believe that the truth is what you make it.

 I intentionally tied each figure together in different ways.  The old man and the middle-aged man in suits, the middle aged-man and the little boy in stripes, the old man and the little boy sit in an upright, optimistic position, the old man and the little boy have shells for heads, the middle-aged man and the old man rest their arms on their knees and so on...  There are a few more symbols in there, maybe you can spot.  And they all sit together on one small bench, looking out into the infinite desert and all of it's infinite grains of sand.  
The desert does not change with their ages, their clothing and their minds.  
It is just as still, as deadly, as boundless and absolute as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment